Sunday, September 6, 2009

Daley in For Injured Swick


Just who will face Georges St. Pierre next for his welterweight title may have just gotten a little less clear, as MMA Weekly has confirmed that Mike Swick will not be able to fight Martin Kampmann on September 19th as scheduled, due to an injury. The winner of the bout was expected to face GSP next.

According to The Sun, British welterweight Paul Daley, as well as UFC UK President Marshall Zelaznik, have informed the publication that “Semtex” will be brought in to face Kampmann at UFC 103.

“I got the call and I accepted. I came to the UFC to fight the best, and that’s what I am going to do.”

So, it remains to be seen whether or not the UFC will send Kampmann St.Pierre’s way, if the welterweight does indeed get past Daley. (It’s interesting that The Sun as well as the UFC site refer to Kampmann as a “Dutchman,” last time we checked dudes from Denmark were called ‘Danes.’ But hey, who are we to act ‘worldly.’)

Daley’s a powerful striker who is well adept at scrambling his opponent’s consciousness, but he’s not Mike Swick; an extremely well rounded fighter who has lost just once in the Octagon. Now if Kampmann had beaten Swick (or vice versa), well, then we’d have a number one contender.
mmafix

No comments:

Post a Comment