Friday, September 4, 2009

Anderson Silva Open to Heavyweight Superfight


UFC middleweight champion, Anderson Silva has ruled out facing whoever has the heavyweight title strapped around their waist should he decide to move up to the division, although he has indicated he is interested in a superfight at that weight.

Speaking to Tatame TV this past weekend, “The Spider” said:

“I might, but it's Rodrigo [Nogueira]’s division, so it would have to be just a superfight, not a run for the title. That’s out of the question, it would be disrespectful of me, very pretentious, to want to fight the champion. And it is also a weight category in which it is easy to get hurt.”

Silva also spoke about the possibility of him retiring after his next four fights, something that seems to be more in the balance these days.

“I have four more fights on this contract. Let me fight them, let's see how they go. I'll try to win and retire with my head up, but if I lose I'll keep my head up anyway.”

Silva may be in for a long layoff from the middleweight division if the UFC decides to have top contenders Dan Henderson and Nate Marquardt battle it out for the number one contenders spot. This would open up the possibility for “The Spider” to compete at either light heavyweight or even heavyweight, setting up what could be the most interesting fight of his UFC career so far.

By Michael Pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment